Papers

This page show case the papers I wrote throughout the semester. I included few drafts/outlines along with the final papers to show my process of writing each of those papers. There wasn’t drastic changes from the Narrative essay draft to the final one since it was the very first paper I wrote for this class. I didn’t include the draft for the Summary and analysis because it is the same my final version. I made no noticeable changes at all from the draft to the final for that essay. I was a naïve student that thought that there was no room for improvements. Later in the semester I realized that there is always room for improvements while writing the Research paper. Therefore, I made a lot of changes from the drafts to my final version of the research paper using the critiques from fellow classmates and the new sources I found after weeks of researching.

Flat design notepad, pen and color sheets of paper Flat design notepad with tabs, pen and color sheets of paper isolated on white background with place for text. writing illustration stock illustrations

Illustration created by Ciripasca, January 04, 2016

Narrative Essay Outline

Inciting Incident: This will be about me remembering the first time I celebrated Eid. In this part I will also describe what is Eid and when it is celebrated.

Rising Action(RA 1): The first rising action will be about me moving to New York and how I celebrated Eid here.

Rising Action(RA 1): My second rising action will be me adapting to the culture here in New York and starting to find normalcy in the way other Bengali communities in my neighborhood approach to celebrate Eid.

Climax: The contrast between how my family and I celebrated Eid in Bangladesh and how we celebrate it here in New York.

Denouement: My denouement will be getting  the perspective of my best friend who also celebrated Eid in Bangladesh and came to America around the same time as me and now celebrates Eid here.

Resolution: My resolution will be me realizing the importance of Eid and how I used to look forward to it and it being my favorite holiday growing up. Now Eid isn’t as exciting as it used to be.

Narrative Essay Draft

It was Chand Raat ( the night of the new moon/eve of Eid) the rooftop of my house was filled with family members looking at the sky and eagerly waiting to observe the new moon themselves or hear the news of others catching a glimpse of the new moon. My family member’s faces were filled with joy after hearing the news of the moon being seen somewhere in the country and after hearing the confirmation of Eid being the next day me and cousins got busy preparing the henna to put on our hands. Chand Raat is what  determines whether Eid will happen the  next or one day later and the suspense of when the new moon will be observed makes that festival exciting. After putting henna on my hand I went to bed looking forward to the festivities of the next day.

The next morning I woke up after being abruptly shaken by one of my cousins,  and I rushed over to the bathroom to get ready for the day. I went down to the living room wearing my new Eid dress and sat down at the breakfast table with everyone and ate a few of the sweet dishes my mom prepared, after eating the male of the family left for Eid prayer. My uncles and dad coming back home from their Eid  prayer is my favorite part of the celebration because when children greet them after their prayer they bless them with Eidi— which is new notes of money. The rest of the day went by as my cousins and I walked around the neighborhood collecting Eidi from the elderly and we continued the festive spirit for 3 more days.

On June 12 of 2012, I arrived in New York with my family leaving so many things behind at home in Bangladesh and for the first few months I felt like a complete outsider. After two months of my arrival was my first celebration of Eid in New York and for some reason I didn’t feel the excitement I did back home. During that Eid my family didn’t get to take part in  many of the Eid festivities, including the Chand Raat festival since it wasn’t convenient to do here and it didn’t feel right celebrating it without the rest of our family members that were always with us during this holiday every year. As time went by I started feeling less and less excited for Eid and started to lose my connection with my culture. 

Then something happened , something that changed life in the right direction. It was on cultural day in my middle school. My mom made me wear one of  my cultural outfits and she made a few Bengali dishes for me to bring to my classmates. Upon my arrival in the classroom I spotted a few of my other Bengali classmates also wearing traditional clothes which brought a sense of belonging to me and gave me comfort. After that day I started interacting with them more and started celebrating Eid with them and at that point I started to see my culture in different perspectives and began to feel a connection to my culture. 

In highschool I met my current best friend who is also from a similar background as me. When I told her about me losing connection with my culture when I first came here she told me she also experienced the same as she grew up in a Hispanic neighborhood and had no one to connect to. She told me I was the one who encouraged her to be more cultural since at that point I was more connected to our culture than she was due to my middle school experience. We made a promise to each to take part in our cultural celebrations more often and take part in them together.

Not finding Eid exciting during my first few years in New York wasn’t because of the holiday itself. In the beginning I was away from people I usually felt comfortable celebrating Eid with and from middle school onward I started meeting people I connected with and that’s when I began to feel the holiday spirit again when celebrating Eid with them. I realized that you enjoy a holiday when you spend with your loved ones and with the company of friends and family. It is not the holiday itself  that necessarily makes it exciting, it’s the people you celebrate it with that makes it meaningful and exciting.

Narrative Essay (w/ Reflection)

The next morning I woke up after being abruptly shaken by one of my cousins, and I rushed over to the bathroom to get ready for the day. I went down to the living room wearing my new Eid dress and sat down at the breakfast table with everyone and ate a few of the sweet dishes my mom prepared. While eating, I found myself smiling and enjoying the presence of my family members. The rest of the day went by with me bonding with my relatives and walking around the neighborhood with cousins collecting Eidi(new notes of money) from the elderly.

Then something happened , something that changed my life in the right direction. It was on cultural day in my middle school. My mom made me wear one of  my cultural outfits and she made a few Bengali dishes for me to bring to my classmates. Upon my arrival in the classroom I spotted a few of my other Bengali classmates also wearing traditional clothes which brought a sense of belonging to me and gave me comfort. After that day I started interacting with them more and started celebrating Eid with them and at that point I started to see my culture in different perspectives and began to feel a connection to my culture. 

In high school, I met my current best friend who is also from a similar background as me. When I told her about my experience with losing connection with my culture during my first few years in New York, she told me she also experienced the same as she grew up in a Hispanic neighborhood and had no one to connect to. She told me I was the one who had encouraged her to be more cultural because at that point I was more connected to our culture than she was due to my middle school experience. We made a promise to each to take part in our cultural celebrations more often and take part in them together.

Refection

While writing this essay I learned I struggle with shortening things down. I had a lot information I wanted to write on the topic I picked for this essay so it was really hard for me to have only four sentences in each paragraph to write down all the events without missing any key information. I need to improve on creating more tension and work on having a consistent buildup of tension in each paragraph.  I also struggled with writing the events with present tense, lot of the times I found myself just describing the event and not writing about my emotions during that event. I feel good about my resolution, I was able to piece everything together with a solid conclusion. Although I did struggle a bit in the beginning of writing this narrative, this piece was a good trip down memory lane. This piece also served as a reminder for me on how much progress  I made in order to be a better version of myself. 

Mosque silhouette in night sky with crescent moon and star Islam. Mosque silhouette in night sky with crescent moon and star eid stock illustrations

Illustration created by REIMUSS, January 21, 2017

Summary & Analysis (w/ Reflection)

For years, this girl felt underwhelmed by traditional celebrations she once used to enjoy back home in Bangladesh. As time passed, she found happiness in the presence of her friends and family while celebrating Eid. What she didn’t know but soon found out is that it wasn’t the celebration itself that gave her happiness; it was the connectedness she felt while celebrating with friends and family that brought her happiness (Hamim).

Holidays are a time that is usually celebrated with friends and family. Many families have their own set of holiday traditions regardless of what holiday they are celebrating. Celebrating holidays with loved ones gives us a sense of belonging and also helps build a strong bond between our family and our community (Brennan).

In the article “Well-being, Happiness and Why Relationships Matter: Evidence from Bangladesh”, Laura Camfield, Kaneta Choudhury, and Joe Devine  report and discuss primary, quantitative, and qualitative data on levels of happiness in Bangladesh being higher than those found in many other countries despite the country being known as one of the poorest and most densely populated countries in the world. After analyzing the data, they placed each factor that contributed to people’s happiness in different categories. As mentioned in the article, factors other than socio-economic status that contributed to people’s happiness and general well-being was relationships that people acquire that helps them with common identity, relations with community, relationships with family members, children, and few other things. The authors remarked that according to a lot of evidence “that the relationship between national wealth and subjective well-being or happiness is weak, even in poor countries”.

Laura Camfield, Kaneta Choudhury, and Joe Devine are convincing in their argument that there are other factors besides income that are important contributors to wellbeing and happiness. They give examples of five different sources that have contributed to the happiness of the people of Bangladesh. They also discuss other studies that helped them back their argument. However, they could have collected data from more parts of Bangladesh. Having data from more parts of Bangladesh would increase the accuracy of the data and allow the data to speak for itself  instead of relying on weak correlations.

The girl was unfamiliar with her surroundings, which is why she didn’t find joy in traditional celebrations for some time and as time went by she found familiarity in the people around her that revived her old happiness and brought her a sense of connection to her community. Happiness and surrounded by loved ones and sharing a common identity with people are often linked across cultures, as argued by Laura Camfield, Kaneta Choudhury, and Joe Devine in their article,  “Well-being, Happiness and Why Relationships Matter: Evidence from Bangladesh.” However, there are other examples outside this that suggest this isn’t always the case.

Work Cited

Hamim, Nafisa “Narrative Essay.” Unpublished Paper. 23 September 2020.

Brennan, Michele L. “Why Holiday Traditions Might Be More Important Than You Think.” Psych Central.com, 17 Nov. 2014, blogs.psychcentral.com/balanced-life/2013/11/why-holiday-traditions-might-be-more-important-than-you-think/. 

Camfield, Laura, et al. “Well-Being, Happiness and Why Relationships Matter: Evidence from Bangladesh.” Journal of Happiness Studies, vol. 10, no. 1, Springer Netherlands, Mar. 2009, pp. 71–91, doi:10.1007/s10902-007-9062-5.

Reflection

The start of this piece was a stressful process for me. I struggled a lot to find an article that connected well with my narrative. I had found one article that I liked while working on the Piece and Take discussion board but I ended up changing to a different article after reading it. After reading the initial article I chose I felt it didn’t really go well with the idea of my narrative as well as I thought it would, so i started looking again and found a different article that fitted nicely with the theme of my Narrative essay. I feel good about my introduction, I summed up my narrative essay well and created a strong foundation for the rest of my summary and analysis essay. I can improve on critiquing the authors a bit more. I feel like the ending of the fourth paragraph could be stronger. Finding the article is what I mostly struggled with, after finding the article everything went smoothly for me. Overall, I believe I did well in this piece and moving forward I need to keep working on keeping things brief and concise.

Girl is writing, education, learning vector illustration Girl is writing, education, learning vector illustration writing stock illustrations

Illustration created by mayrum , January 18, 2019

Research Paper Outline

1. Antora is a 10 year old girl in a village in Bangladesh. Her father is a farmer and mother is a housewife. She starts her day at 5am. Soon after she wakes up she freshens up then she studies for a bit. After eating breakfast and giving medicine to her grandmother she heads to school.
  2. Antora is part of a program called Plan International. Bangladesh is a country where one in five people live below the poverty line. With programs like Plan International, children that are living in an affected area are able to get access to a good education system, learn proper hygiene practices, get access to quality health services and are provided with many other things that help improve their quality of life. Over 2.3 million children across the country benefit from this program.
  3. In America, the first study on child rearing happened during the early part of the twentieth century. Most nineteenth-century scientists deemed children unsuitable subjects for study, and parents were hostile to the idea. But by 1935, the study of the child was a thriving scientific and professional field(Smuts).
  1. Early childhood care plays an important role in children’s development and provides valuable support to young children. High quality child care can have a positive influence on children’s development (Peisner-Feinberg).
  2. Adequate nutrition is necessary for proper development of a child. However, there are over 200 million children with malnutrition in developing countries. Bangladesh is one of those developing countries that has a large number of children with malnourishment(Akther). One of the main factors that  affect the development of children living in Bangladesh is poverty (Hamadani).
  3. Studies have found that play is essential to development because it contributes to the cognitive, physical, social, and emotional well-being of children (Ginsburg). Children in Bangladesh take part in singing and dancing activities on a daily basis, along with local games that help develop speech, vocabulary, and gross motor skills.
  4. One of the main factors that  affect the development of children living in Bangladesh is poverty (Hamadani). Programs like Plan International are helping Antora and her community out of poverty and helping raise awareness to many issues.
  5. When Antora grows up she wants to be a doctor and help her community.

Research Paper Draft 1

Plan International is an organization that helps children around the world fight for their rights and provide them with resources to help them achieve their full potential. Antora is a Plan International sponsor child from Bangladesh. She was given an opportunity to show day in her life:

“I wake up at 5am in the morning. Soon after I wake up I wash myself and study for a bit.  After that I eat breakfast and give my grandmother her medicine [and head to school]. I like going to school…Plan International supports [my school]. [We have a children club where] we receive training on child protection, child marriages, and disaster risk management. Child marriage is a big problem in our community. I don’t think I will be married off early because [me and other people in our club are helping] raise awareness of these issues in our community.”

Bangladesh is a country where one in five people live below the poverty line. With organizations like Plan International, children that are living in an affected area are able to get access to a good education system, learn proper hygiene practices, get access to quality health services and are provided with many other things that help improve their quality of life. There are over 21,000 PI sponsored children in Bangladesh and over 2.3 million children across the country benefit from the programs provided by this organization.

Early childhood care plays an important role in children’s development and provides valuable support to young children. High quality child care can have a positive influence on children’s development (Peisner-Feinberg).

Research shows poverty can have negative effects on child development.  According to Ann P. Kaiser and Elizabeth M. Delaney, a Professor and a Doctoral student in the Department of Special Education at Vanderbilt University’s Peabody College, Nashville, TN:

Children born in poverty  begin life at higher risk for health and development problems because of poor pre- and perinatal health care, their own health status at birth, the health status of their mothers, and the safety of their home environment…. In communities with chronic, concentrated poverty, health, survival, social, and educa- tional risks are found at their highest levels. There is a strong association between poverty and poor cognitive, social, and academic outcomes for children. Poor children are at greater risk for conduct problems, depression, peer conflict, and low self-confidence (Ann P. Kaiser & Elizabeth M. Delaney).

Adequate nutrition is necessary for proper development of a child. However, there are over 200 million children with malnutrition in developing countries. Bangladesh is one of those developing countries that has a large number of children with malnourishment. Mothers in rural areas of Bangladesh often have little awareness about early child stimulation and lack knowledge of child care practices ( Akther). Poverty and lack of adequate nutritional and developmental knowledge of the parents leads to malnutrition in over 50% of children; approximately 10 million children are not achieving their developmental potential.

(Add Ethos about specific child rearing practices in BD)

One of the main factors that affect the development of children living in Bangladesh is poverty (Hamadani). Programs like Plan International are helping Antora and her community out of poverty and helping raise awareness to many issues. Other various programs and health education campaigns are gradually improving parenting practices in rural areas of Bangladesh but there is still a lot more work that needs to be done.

When Antora grows up she wants to be a doctor and help her community ( might add one paragraph here and expand on this) 

Works Cited

Kaiser, Ann P., and Elizabeth M. Delaney. “The Effects of Poverty on Parenting Young Children.” Peabody Journal of Education, vol. 71, no. 4, 1996, pp. 66–85. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/1493185. 

Akther, Begum. “Child Care Practice of Mother of Below Five Years Children in a Selected Semi Urban Area of Bangladesh.” Delta Medical College journal 5.2 (2017): 76–82. Web.

Antora. “Meet Antora from Bangladesh – A Day in Her Life.” Youtube, uploaded by Plan International Ireland, 30 Mar. 2017, www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EKJLGtJwH0.

Research Paper (w/ Reflection)

The Socioeconomic status of a child’s family often affects the outcome of their life. A child in poverty doesn’t have access to the same resources of a child in a higher social class. This paper explores the relationship between poverty and child development in Bangladesh. The sources used for this paper are mainly review articles and research articles from various researchers. A news video from an international news channel along with sources from an organization called Plan International was also used for this paper. The research and review articles used helped gather information on in what ways poverty affects the child rearing process. The articles used also helped provide facts and statistics. The news video used gave an insight on the economic situation in Bangladesh. The sources used from the organization Plan International was a blog from a child in Bangladesh which gave insight on what a day in her life looks like and their website which provided facts and stats on their contribution in Bangladesh. Children in poverty are brought up in conditions that limit them from achieving their full potential. Many children in poverty from Bangladesh don’t receive proper child care because the parents don’t have access to proper education that can provide them with child health care knowledge. The parent’s economic status affects how much they can provide for their children which is why many children in rural areas of Bangladesh are malnourished and experience early death. With help from intervention organizations like Plan International the condition of poor children in Bangladesh can gradually improve.

Plan International is an organization that helps children around the world fight for their rights and provide them with resources to help them achieve their full potential (Plan International). Antora is a Plan International sponsor child from Bangladesh. She was given an opportunity to show day in her life:

Bangladesh is a country where one in five people live below the poverty line. Even though there is a slight growth in the country’s overall economy, it’s the top one percent that is growing, the average wage of the rest of the citizens is less than $5 dollar a day (Chowdhury). With organizations like Plan International, children that are living in an affected area are able to get access to a good education system, learn proper hygiene practices, get access to quality health services and are provided with many other things that help improve their quality of life. There are over 21,000 Plan International sponsored children in Bangladesh and over 2.3 million children across the country benefit from the programs provided by this organization (Plan International).

A clear example of the effects of poverty on child development in history is the caste system in India. According to Jayanta Kumar Bora, Rajesh Raushan, and Wolfgang Lutz, who are research fellows at International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, Laxenburg, Austria:

Children belonging to the SC population experience higher mortality rates than children belonging to the non-SC/ST population from 1992 to 2016.6. Both macro level (district level mortality rates) and individual (regression analysis) analyses showed that children belonging to SCs experience the highest likelihood of dying before their fifth birthday (Bora et al.). 

SC and ST stands for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, which are current government official names given to the people of lowest caste in India—these are the group of people that were previously considered the ‘untouchables’. Even though in recent years there has been a reduction in death risk of children under five, there is still a big caste based gap in the mortality rates of children under-five. “ A decomposition analysis revealed that 83% of the caste-based gap in the under-five deaths is due to the distribution of women’s level of educational attainment and household wealth between the SC/ST and non-SC/ST population”(Bora et al.).

Early childhood care plays an important role in children’s development. Research shows poverty can have negative effects on child development.  According to Ann P. Kaiser and Elizabeth M. Delaney, a Professor and a Doctoral student in the Department of Special Education at Vanderbilt University’s Peabody College, Nashville, TN:

Children born in poverty  begin life at higher risk for health and development problems because of poor pre- and perinatal health care, their own health status at birth, the health status of their mothers, and the safety of their home environment…. In communities with chronic, concentrated poverty, health, survival, social, and educational risks are found at their highest levels. There is a strong association between poverty and poor cognitive, social, and academic outcomes for children. Poor children are at greater risk for conduct problems, depression, peer conflict, and low self-confidence (Ann P. Kaiser & Elizabeth M. Delaney).

Oftentimes children in poverty don’t have access to any proper form of child care which can put their lives at risk at times and these children usually do not get the opportunity to succeed to their full potential. A Mother’s education and knowledge on certain child health care related things plays a significant role in a child’s development which many women in poverty don’t have much access to (Bora et al.).Thus, leading to a lot of health issues in many children that belong to low social class due to not receiving proper care. 

Adequate nutrition is necessary for proper development of a child. However, there are over 200 million children with malnutrition in developing countries. Bangladesh is one of those developing countries that has a large number of children with malnourishment. Mothers in rural areas of Bangladesh often have little awareness about early child stimulation and lack knowledge of child care practices ( Akther et al.). Poverty and lack of adequate nutritional and developmental knowledge of the parents leads to malnutrition in over 50% of children; approximately 10 million children are not achieving their developmental potential (Grantham-McGregor et al.).

Majority of women in rural areas of Bangladesh give birth at home. Some specific newborn practices among them are giving extensive care to the umbilical cord, as well as performing a variety of practices to keep the baby warm and there is a cultural practice of giving newborn babies some sweet food or honey ( Moran et al.). Giving honey to the baby right after birth is a common custom in Bangladesh. People in rural areas of Bangladesh believe that giving newborn honey will keep them healthy and give them a sweet personality. However, research suggests this is not a safe practice. A case study advanced that honey can cause botulism toxicity and infantile botulism in newborns (Abdulla). This is an example of how mothers in rural areas aren’t aware of certain practices that are harmful for children. With help from intervention/parenting programs these women can be more knowledgeable and improve newborn survival rate and be able to raise children in a better condition (Nahar).

Poverty is one of the main factors that affect the development of children living in Bangladesh. Programs like Plan International are helping Antora and her community out of poverty and helping raise awareness to many issues. Other various programs and health education campaigns are gradually improving parenting practices in rural areas of Bangladesh but there is still a lot more work that needs to be done.

Antora is one of the very few lucky children in Bangladesh. If she wasn’t part of Plan international she would have been one of the many Bengali children that doesn’t have excess to proper education, nutrition, or get married off at a young age. With the help of the program Antora is able to get closer to her dreams. When Antora grows up she wants to be a doctor and help her community.

Works Cited

Plan International. “Bangladesh.” Plan International, 2009,  plan-international.org/bangladesh. 

Antora. “Meet Antora from Bangladesh – A Day in Her Life.” Youtube, uploaded by Plan International Ireland, 30 Mar. 2017, www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EKJLGtJwH0

Chowdhury, Tanvir. “Bangladesh: One in Five People Live Below Poverty Line.” Bangladesh | Al Jazeera, Al Jazeera, 26 Jan. 2020, www.aljazeera.com/videos/2020/01/26/bangladesh-one-in-five-people-live-below-poverty-line/. 

Bora, Raushan et al. “The Persistent Influence of Caste on Under-Five Mortality: Factors That Explain the Caste-Based Gap in High Focus Indian States.” PloS one 14.8 (2019): e0211086–e0211086. Web.

Moran, A.C., Choudhury, N., Uz Zaman Khan, N. et al. Newborn care practices among slum dwellers in Dhaka, Bangladesh: a quantitative and qualitative exploratory study. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 9, 54 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2393-9-54

Akther, Nasreen et al. “Child Care Practice of Mother of Below Five Years Children in a Selected Semi Urban Area of Bangladesh.” Delta Medical College journal 5.2 (2017): 76–82. Web

Grantham-McGregor, Sally et al. “Developmental potential in the first 5 years for children in developing countries.” Lancet (London, England) vol. 369,9555 (2007): 60-70. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(07)60032-4

Abdulla, C O et al. “Infant botulism following honey ingestion.” BMJ case reports vol. 2012 bcr1120115153. 7 Sep. 2012, doi:10.1136/bcr.11.2011.5153

Nahar, Hossain. “Effects of Psychosocial Stimulation on Improving Home Environment and Child-Rearing Practices: Results from a Community-Based Trial Among Severely Malnourished Children in Bangladesh.” BMC public health 12.1 (2012): 622–622. Web.

Reflection

When writing this paper I struggled with finding scholarly articles that can be used to talk about specific child rearing practices in Bangladesh. In the beginning I was planning on broadly discussing certain child rearing practices in Bangladesh and how it helped shape the children. But while looking for my pathos for this paper I came across the organization called Plan International and after reading through their website I was inspired to focus my paper on how poverty affects child rearing in Bangladesh. I feel good about my pathos in my introduction, I feel like it helped create a strong base that I was able to later conclude by connecting everything back to it. I also feel good about the history portion of this paper. I spent hours trying to find articles for it but I wasn’t able to find anything interesting that I liked. While writing my drafts I unintentionally skipped the history portion of the paper and after getting critique for my second drafts I took Joshua’s suggestion and decided to discuss the caste system in India. I can improve this paper by discussing a few specific child rearing practices in Bangladesh and maybe doing a comparison to another place can also help improve this paper. Overall, I believe the message of this paper is clear and I have relevant evidence that backs up my claims.

3d small people - thats cool 3d small person in pointing pose and showing that it is cool. 3d image. White background. thats all stock pictures, royalty-free photos & images

Image by AnatolyM , February 04, 2019